Many hundreds of vehicles pass by this Memorial every day – within just a few metres of it, but how many have taken a few moments to park and wander back to examine this tribute to all those who lost their lives in two world wars?
By 1921 Malvern Wells had its own Memorial, after a good deal of confusion and controversy, including a row with the vicar. The chosen architect was probably the best in the country – C F A Voysey.
When the Memorial was first erected, it stood up high above the surrounding hedge, with the Wells House and the lower slopes of the hills as a back drop. The words spoken by Lt Col Chichester at its dedication were as follows, “The inhabitants of Malvern Wells wished the Memorial to commemorate not only those who had made the supreme sacrifice, but the maimed and those who bear the marks of war and therefore this Memorial bears NO names”. The words ‘In thankfulness to God for victory and in honour of devotion, self sacrifice and glorious achievement’ were engraved on it.
As the trees and bushes grew up around the monument, the second world war claimed more lives and the Memorial was engraved with the further words, ‘Also in memory of those who gave their lives in the Second World War 1939-1945’.
The bird on the top is, in heraldic terms, ‘a pelican in her pity, vulning’, which translated means that she is wounding herself in order to feed her chicks.
Now the Memorial is cared for by the Parish Council, and each year at noon on Remembrance Sunday (the nearest Sunday to the eleventh day of the eleventh month), the people of Malvern Wells remember those of their parish who died and were injured in both world wars and other conflicts since. It is up to us to remember this and to strive for peace throughout the world.